Friday, May 10, 2013

Chapter 3 - Too Much, Pepper

I gazed at the man before me. He held me firmly by the shoulders. “Katherine,” he said. “You... know my name?” I asked. “You don't remember?” “Who are you?” “So, you don't remember.” “I know I knew you. I know I can trust you. But I don't know why. I know I know what happened. I know I do things and sense things because of what happened. But I do not know the actual events that happened. I know... I killed someone. This blood... it's not all mine.” “Yes. You killed a man. Katherine. Do you trust me enough to live with me and do as I tell you?” “I will trust you. But that will not keep me from acting by my own judgement when the time comes.”


~*~AK~*~


Blake walked out the door of his apartment with his pockets full of information about Ally Kat. “This will be fun,” he thought. He hurried down the street toward his convertible, rustling in his pockets for his keys. Glancing across the street, he saw Pepper talking on her cell phone. Pepper had beautiful golden blond hair and green eyes. Or were they blue? Blake couldn't remember and thought to himself that he would have to find out later. Suddenly a thought struck him. Why was Pepper out here in the first place? She lived on the other side of town and all the same shops were over there, so she would have no reason to come except to visit someone. Blake trusted her though, and thought he would just go over there and ask her and she would give a reasonable answer. At first, Blake thought to come up to her outright, but as he came closer, he saw that she had her back turned to him and found himself sneaking up behind her and listening closely to what she was saying. “7:00 tonight. Yes. Ally Kat? She'll be there, don't worry. Yes. I'll be sure not to tell anyone. Yes.” She hung up the phone and turned around, bumping right into Blake who quickly hid his wonder at the conversation, though he feared he hadn't done it fast enough. Pepper gazed at him with a slightly worried, slightly surprised look on her face. “Oh! You scared me, Blake. I was in the neighborhood so I thought I might stop by for breakfast, but then I got the phone call.” Blake just stared at her. Or her eyes, rather, for one was green and one was blue. “Blake?”

Blake shook his head to clear the thoughts and said, “Sorry, Pepper, I just realized how beautiful you look,” Blake covered.

“Oh, well thank you,” she replied, awkwardly.

“What were you in town for?”

“Oh, I was asked to come out here and chase down someone for another case. This person had a device they invented which gave them a lot of speed and no one could catch up with them.” This response wasn't unreasonable. Pepper was always being called to help out on other cases when her speed was needed.

“Ah. I don't see your car anywhere. You didn't run all the way here did you?”

“No, I'm parked way up on the edge of town. I had to chase the criminal all the way down here, though. Well, I guess I better go run and get it.” She turned to go, but Blake grabbed her arm.

“Wait, would you like me to drive you? It would be better than wasting energy. After all, we're gonna need you for chasing down Ally Kat at 7:00 tonight.” He said this to see the reaction on Pepper's face, as this was what she had mentioned on the phone. She didn't disappoint. Her eyes flashed in fear for a second before she forced out a smile and said, “No, no, I wouldn't want you to be at an inconvenience.”

“No, I insist.” Blake wasn't sure why, but he wanted her to stay with him. He wanted to keep an eye on her. Though Blake wasn't normally a suspicious person, he always used caution and considered every possibility. He grabbed Pepper just above the elbow, walked her across the street to his car and opened the door for her to get in. She did so, and he turned towards the edge of town. “Wait, where are you going?” she asked, anxiously.

“To your car, where else? Where is it?”

“Oh, I thought you were just going to take me to the office.”

“Well, you have to get your car back, don't you?”

“Yes, but... it's in a place that you can't go into. I was doing a job for the upper branch of the organization. You're not allowed to know this location. I'm already going against the rules telling you I was doing a job for them.” Blake knew this was possible, so he said, “I'll just drive you to the general area then.” They drove to the edge of town until Pepper told him that there was fine and muttered a thanks as she climbed out.

At the office, Blake reread the information Alameda had given him and strategized a separate plan on his own. He wanted to make sure that no one was leaking information to Ally Kat. Or that Ally Kat wasn't in the organization herself. From the information that Alameda had given him, Pepper matched the description perfectly, besides her hair and speed. But this could easily be changed with a wig and by running slower than she actually could. Blake wanted to see both Pepper and Ally Kat together. Only then would he know for sure they weren't the same person. But he still wasn't sure how he would be able to find out if anyone was leaking information or not.

Suddenly, Pepper walked in. She had taken a while to get there, though Blake could only make possible guesses as to why. “Come in, Pepper. We were waiting on you before we got started.”

“Hey, where have you been? Not like you to be late, Pepper,” Jack asked.

“We've been worried. Afraid you got carried off by some criminal or something.” Linton spoke.

Pepper laughed, throwing a cautious glance at Blake. “Well, no worries now, I'm here. Go on, Blake.”

Blake cleared his throat and began. “I wasn't satisfied with the information that the organization provided us with, so I asked my informer and she gave me this.” He handed out copies of the paper about Ally Kat he had made and then returned to his desk and read it out loud. Blake kept a continuous eye on Pepper, especially when he read about the description of Ally Kat's eyes. She stared at the paper, but she just appeared to grow angry. “Do you think,” Pepper interrupted Blake, “that I'm Ally Kat? Just because of my speed and the fact I have the same color eyes as her? Why don't you ask your little informant about which eye is which. I bet you'll find that hers are the opposite from mine.”

“How would you know that? You've never seen Ally Kat, have you?” Jack asked.

Pepper glared at Jack while pulling out a paper and showing it to Blake. It was the picture of Ally Kat winking. The eye that was open was obviously green and was her left eye. Blake looked up at Pepper and saw that her left eye was blue and her right eye was green. “I'm not trying to say that you're Ally Kat, Pepper. But I can't ignore the possibility. From what the organization has told us, someone must be telling Ally Kat who we're going after and where. You are the one who has been on cases with other people, and it just so happens that all the cases that Ally Kat foiled were ones that you have been on.”

“Why didn't you tell us before that you were on the cases with Ally Kat?” Linton questioned.

Pepper hesitated a moment but Blake went on. “I don't think you are Ally Kat. I believe that it is someone in the upper organization who is leaking information. But I hope you will allow me to test you and prove you are not Ally Kat.”

“How would you do that?” Pepper asked.

“I want you to stay with me tonight. Do not leave my sight under any circumstances. If I see both you and Ally Kat in the same place at the same time together, I wont cause you any more trouble. However, until I see you both together, I will not allow you to know any plans outside of what is necessary for you to know.” Pepper looked at him, thoughtful for a moment. Blake was sure she would object.

“Alright,” she said.

“Alright?”

“Alright.”

Blake took a deep breath. “Very well. Let's get on with business.” They discussed their plans for that night and hammered out all the details and then memorized what they were supposed to do.

~*~

The night air was cold and Blake could see his breath rise in a cloud of vapor. He stood at the back of an alley where a ladder stood, leaning against the wall of the building. Pepper stood beside him, glaring at the ground.

“Would you stop sulking and pay attention?” Blake asked.

“I should be the one chasing that guy down right now,” Pepper complained. “I'd have caught him by now.”

“Which is precisely why we didn't want you chasing him. We set it up so he would be caught right here, so that when Ally Kat comes to save him, she'll fall into our trap. That is, if she shows up.”

“What's that supposed to mean?” Pepper exclaimed.

“Shh! Keep your voice down, will you?”

“So sorry, Sir,” Pepper sneered.

“Look. I don't believe that you're Ally Kat. But the others were bound to notice the similarities between you and the criminal. I'm not just using caution myself, I'm also clearing up any misunderstanding before it starts. It's for your sake as much as mine and the others.”

“And what if Ally Kat doesn't even show up? Or what if she figures out your plans and finds some way of framing me even if you still see both of us together?”

“That's why we're hoping she shows up,” Blake said, inattentively. The sound of alarms had filled his ears, and he was no longer paying attention to what he was saying, but preparing himself for what was ahead. A sudden stream of endless energy seemed to course through him and an excitement that he never felt outside of jobs like this rushed upon him, and he crouched down low like a tiger, ready to pounce upon his prey. He watched as the criminal ran into his view and right then, the people grabbed hold of him and forced him down. They put handcuffs on him and pulled him upright. He was a tall elf, carrying a bow and a quiver of arrows. But other than his ears and choice of weapon, he could easily pass as a human. He wore a hoodie, a beanie, jeans and tennis shoes. Blake would have laughed at seeing an elf try to wear a beanie, but it wasn't an uncommon thing in this town and he was used to it by now. The elf hardly put up a fight, but then, neither did any of the other criminals. Blake often wondered if these thieves and murderers wanted to get caught. Perhaps they all came here to retire and that's why there were so many of them. Either way, he was caught, and Blake turned to look for Pepper. But Pepper was no longer there. There was no way she could have gone from his sight without jumping over the wall (which was nine feet high), or climbing up the ladder. As Blake grabbed hold of the rungs to get to the roof, Blake heard a voice call out, “That's a nice catch you've got there!”

No comments:

Post a Comment